Dita Parker

Sunday, August 9, 2020

Failure to launch

Temperature: 25/77 degrees

Eating: the cherries and redcurrants are large, plentiful and tasty this year.

Drinking: lemonade

Watching: my firstborn grappling with the fact that nothing has gone, or will go, to plan this year. And this, as soon as it comes out. I’ll wear a hazmat suit if I have to. Happy birthday, Tove Jansson!

Listening: When the wannabe dictators of democracies are forced to comment on or react to their failures or try to assuage fears…why is it always something dumb and dangerous?

Reading: Incessantly, sweetie darlings, and it has been wonderful, a lifesaver, really, now that we’re forced to stay put. Books have taken me around the world and across centuries.

Writing: Not so much, just so I’d have more time to read!

Thinking: about friends and family we didn’t get to see this summer, and no one knows when we will meet again. Heads on a screen…it’s not the same, is it?

Feeling: for my kids; this year has been one of disruptions and disappointments like nothing they’ve experienced before, and there’s nothing I or their father can do about it. Everyone is feeling it, but that’s of little consolation when you’re young and raring to go.

No comments: