Dita Parker

Saturday, February 23, 2019

Episode 412 where Dita gets all worked up over the Oscars

I'll show you my utterly unimpressed with the Oscars face if you'll show me yours. Seriously. I'm having a hard time getting excited. And not for the first time. For the many manieth time in a row. Is the show showing its age...being 91 and all...and perhaps a bit...tired...of itself? If there's one thing the movie industry knows how to do it's a facelift, but I feel like they need a more extreme kind of makeover at this point.

Have they finally decided on this year's show? With a room full of actors will they dispense with a script and employ the brow-dampening art of improvisation? Will they simply be mailing those statues in 2020? And can we talk about the omissions? They tell a tale of memory disorder, no surprise when you're 91, really. What is wrong with this year's lineup? Let's see, shall we? Where's Widows? [Did you see this movie? Apparently, neither did the Academy.] Where is Early Man? Joanna Kulig? Emily Blunt (and correct me if I'm wrong but she's never been nominated, not once, a scandal of Dolby Theatre proportions)? Or Toni Collette?

[I can barely stomach horror these days, but I'm glad I watched Hereditary and A Quiet Place. BC EB & TC. And if the Academy doesn't care much for horror then what is their excuse for overlooking EB in Mary Poppins Returns? No, I'd really like to know.] Where is Timothée Chalamet for his rip-your-heart-out-and-fry-it-extra-crispy Beautiful Boy performance? Nomination got lost in the mail? Landed in the hands of PwC and was never seen again? They couldn't spell/pronounce his name? What about The Rider? Zero fucks given, Signed, The Academy. And yay for Adam Driver, but if Adam Driver then John David Washington, right? No? Why not?

Anyone care to explain? What is going on, people? What?! The Oscar goes to anyone who delivers a sincere answer and makes a believable performance out of it.

No comments: