Dita Parker

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Absolute beginners

"Sorry, honey, but I'll be sweating it out with Sven for the next 70 days," I told my hubby, just for effect. "You two have fun now," he answered. Just for effect.

When he was done with the double entendres, he asked who exactly would be competing for my attention and I introduced him to Sven:
http://70daysofsweat.com/wordpress/

The gauntlet was thrown down and I picked it up, gawked at it for a second and tried it on for size. This time around it fit. I enlisted and went to battle, not against Sven but with Sven. One hundred and fifty seven (and counting) graphomaniacs bent on writing 850-1500 words a day.

It's a writing challenge, stress on the word challenge. For some of us, 850 words a day is a daunting and demanding task, for others 1500 is an hour's work, or half an hour's. But we have agreed to do it, individually and as a group; to help and to motivate, to push and to pull, to share and to care.

Writing is such a lonely job, but the loneliness is a prerequisite, for me at least. I need to close that door, I need the solitude to be able to calm down and focus. Maybe I've conditioned myself to work that way; maybe that is what I absolutely need to be able to concentrate. But like in so many other meaningful areas of life, it is good to know I'm not alone.

Over one hundred and fifty other writers counting words and making those words count. It is a challenge. If it wasn't, it would be called a writing victory. I will call it that on January 26, after the work is done. But it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and last time I checked she was still in make-up.

I'll go see if she needs anything and get some writing done while I'm at it.

No comments: