Dita Parker

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Always on my mind

Dear Work In Progress,

It's me, Writer In Progress. I know you really hate me right now, and that makes me hate myself. I know our rendezvous have been few and far between this summer. You feel ignored. I feel as if I've been neglecting you. But I said I'd be back, that we would be together again soon, that I had every intention of finishing what I started, so you'll just have to get over your wounded pride, and I'll have to get over my guilt and shame.

Had I thought there was no hope for us, I would have told you so, months ago. Thing is, I still believe. I did then and I do now, and if you believe, as I do, that what we had has anywhere to go, we put this...not trial separation but trial by separation behind us right here and now and pick up where we left off last time we met.

I can't promise there'll never be another summer like this, but please, pleeease understand I also needed time to think things over. Not to decide if I want to do this, but how I'll go about it. And you were never far from my mind, you know that. You were always there, startling me with realizations, sneaking up on me with revelations, so if we're cool, if you believe in me as I believe in you, how about we go that last stretch? The longest miles, yes, but the most rewarding, too, I swear.

I'll treat you right. You know I will. I'll take care of you, see you get what you're due. What do you say? Tomorrow, bright and early and ready to rumble? I say it's a date.

No comments: