Dita Parker

Friday, October 23, 2009

Learning to fly

Finally got to see Up! *sigh*And the kids got to see Mom crying at the movies. (Happens all the time with Hubby, I can't help it, I don't see why one should even try to.) My 5 yo climbed on my lap and patted my cheek, and I cried some more. It was such a sweet instinctive attempt to console me I couldn't help it. Why would one even need to? *and another*

If you've begun to suspect a secret vow to dumb down and churn out the same old same old has been taken in La La Land, try an animation. Astounding stuff coming out on both sides of the Pacific. I'm talking about Pixar and Studio Ghibli. They are alive and kicking proof there is magic in cinema, the old-fashioned kind with original insights and twists in every single title. Heart, a sizeable one. Spirit and imagination. Creativity at its finest. There is an old school mentality, even sentimentality, to them, the Hero's Journey, but always something fresh and startling as well. The themes are universal so anyone, anywhere, can relate. The undertones are such an adult enjoys them, the story simple enough for a child to follow. And they've never failed to leave me feeling happy and uplifted.

Pixar takes to the skies with Up as so many Ghibli productions have done. Howl's Moving Castle came to mind. I wasn't surprised to hear of John Lasseter's admiration of Hayao Miyazaki who is considered by many in the film, comics and gaming industry to be the greatest animator alive. I think he's a genius. 

Even if you don't have kids, go see or rent their movies, Ghibli or Pixar or preferably both. If you feel you need a chaperone, take your child or borrow one, I promise you they won't be disappointed. Neither will you, especially if that inner child of yours has been in hiding for too long. You'll come away ready to take flight. 

No comments: